- I have lost my card!
- Is it safe to use the recharge terminals despite not having to enter a PIN?
- Error 448
- Display of error message on vending machines
- Where do I get the semester imprint for my MultiCa?
- The validity imprint is rather pale
- I have found a MultiCa!
- How do I transfer money to my card?
- Why can I not recharge my MultiCa with my debit card?
- Why does the Kölner Studentenwerk debit my bank account?
- Why am I being charged guest prices at the canteens even though I am a member of one of Cologne’s universities?
- Do I receive a new MultiCa each semester?
1. I have lost my card!
In order to receive a new card, please pay the fee charged for issuing a duplicate (Zweitausfertigungsgebühr) of €12.50 at one of the locations listed below and take your receipt to the Office of Student Services, where our staff will issue your new MultiCa.
If you still had money on your card, please see a staff member of Kölner Studentenwerk at one of the cash offices. Make sure to inform them of your MultiCa serial number, which you will find on the back of the card but will also be written down for you at the Office of Student Services. After approximately five days, Kölner Studentenwerk will add the outstanding amount to the credit balance on your new MultiCa.
Please pay at one of the following locations:
(External links: Please note that accessing the external links will open a new window.)
Please also note that the money on your card will only be locked if you report to Kölner Studentenwerk. Solely informing the Office of Student Services is not sufficient.
2. Is it safe to use the recharge terminals despite not having to enter a PIN?
The Kölner Studentenwerk (Cologne Association for Student Affairs) uses payment via electronic direct debit without PIN. The system operates offline, is free of charge for its users and inexpensive for the operator. It is usually used in places where a great number of transactions of smaller amounts of money are carried out on a regular basis.
Please visit the website of the Kölner Studentenwerk for more information and contact details.
3. Error 448
You have prematurely terminated your payment at a vending machine. If this message is displayed, it is usually helpful to go back to the machine you last used and re-insert your card.
Explanation: The MultiCa is temporarily locked during transactions. After a transaction, this lock is lifted. If you receive the 448 error message, your card’s lock is still in the process of being lifted and the status “Karte ist im Löschstatus” (card lock is being lifted) will be displayed.
4. Display of error message on vending machines
In cooperation with the Kölner Studentenwerk, we have put together an overview of the vending machines and other terminals which you can access to lift the lock on your MultiCa:
GWZ Campus (German)
IWZ Campus (German)
GM Campus (German)
5. Where do I get the semester imprint for my MultiCa?
Please go to one of the validation station to have your MultiCa imprinted with the period of validity and the VRS logo (in order for you to use the MultiCa as VRS ticket). You will find the validation stations at the following venues:
IWZ: adjacent to the porter’s lodge in the foyer on the main floor
GWZ: in front of the Office of Student Services at Claudiusstr. 1
Gummersbach Campus: between the canteen and the library
6. The validation imprint is rather pale
You can have the imprint renewed at any time. Only if you have already re-registered for the coming semester, will the imprint change.
7. I have found a MultiCa!
Thank you for being so vigilant! Please hand the card to the staff in one of our Office of Student Services. We will get in touch with the card’s owner immediately.
8. How do I transfer money to my card?
You can recharge your card at one of the recharge terminals offered by the Kölner Studentenwerk. Please click on the following link for their locations: Electronic purse and recharge terminal
9. Why can I not recharge my MultiCa with my debit card?
It has been reported that some debit cards are not accepted by the recharge terminals. This will especially be the case if you just received a new debit card. Many cards that are currently in circulation will be replaced by the banks by the end of the year.
The terminal software is updated by Kölner Studentenwerk on a regular basis.
10. Why does the Kölner Studentenwerk debit my bank account?
As our cooperation partner, the Kölner Studentenwerk is in charge of our financial clearing. For this reason, each time you recharge your MultiCa at one of the recharge terminals, the Kölner Studentenwerk debits your account via electronic direct debit.
Please take note of the Mitteilung für alle Nutzer der MultiCa" (pdf-file/German) on the website of the Kölner Studentenwerk and make sure that you have sufficient funds in your bank account.
For all relevant information on the MultiCa, please visit the website of the Kölner Studentenwerk.
11. Why am I being charged guest prices at the canteens even though I am a member of one of Cologne’s universities?
You have received a guest ID by our library to use its services. However, you may also use this ID card to purchase food and beverages at our canteens. For this purpose, the card bears a guest status.
In order for you to be able to pay the regular prices at our canteens, we have come to the following agreement with Kölner Studentenwerk:
- Please contact the staff of the cash office on your campus listed below within the office hours stated in the canteens.
- Our staff will collect your card and your status will be altered within the next 2 days.
- Please bring your valid student ID when picking up the card.
Canteen, Ms. Horn
Canteen (Mainzer Straße), Ms. Willim or Ms. Schiller
Canteen, Mr. Pröll
You may also have the status of your guest ID changed at the info point at the University of Cologne canteen or at Universitätstr. 16.
12. Do I receive a new MultiCa each semester?
No, you do not. Your MultiCa is meant to accompany you throughout your entire studies. Just make sure to validate it each semester!